Saturday, September 23, 2006

Exxonmobil Campus Concert - Genie's MAgIC

So last night I was at NUS theatrette watching this girl named Genie singing. She set up a private initiative named Genie's MAgIC, short for Movement Against Illegal Content - sharing/downloading. She's also a singer, song writer, composer etc. If you want to know more about her, click here to get to her website. She's got a great voice, has got talent, the guts to step out on her own and produce her own record. That's really admirable.

On watching her perform last night...
Currently she's better off playing the piano and singing at the same time because at least she doesn't have to think of what to do in between all of the breaks in the songs. I really enjoyed the last 3 songs (only) mostly because she was playing the piano and it was really horrible watching her standing on stage looking down sometimes or just standing there waiting for the next part of the song. She has really got a nice voice, but I felt bored all the same, right from the very start.

I thought the caucasian kids sitting quietly (not) in front of me was very interesting to watch.

I was bored enough to start turning around to look at who is behind me, bored enough to start to scribble on the back of the paper, bored enough to contemplate leaving in the middle of it all. But no, I stayed till the end. Can't say that I regretted it, but can't say that I didn't regret it either. Not to mention that the photographer's flash was darn blinding. And the fact that Genie wasn't in the spotlight most of the time, which I found very VERY irritating.

Ok I feel kind of bad saying all these of her. She put in a lot of effort.

Oh there was a magician in between the songs too! He was very funny, kept on leaving his wand everywhere and forgetting where he put it. He's middle aged and in my opinion, kind of on the old side. In this age where David Blaine and streetmagic are the norm on TV, watching traditional magic tricks felt very weird. He made a lighted stick float in the air in the dark... I mean it was in the dark! Ironically, because it was dark, whatever light glinted off the invisible string that he had attached to the light stick. Frankly I was darn disappointed because though I am already 19 (turning 20), I am still amazed that a person can make that thing "float" in mid air with seemingly nothing supporting or connected to it. I believed it was magic (though I have never told anybody so)! I never quite believed that there is a string attached but now I'm faced with reality. I still don't know how they can pass their hands through the air around the stick if there is the string connected to it. I don't get it, really. Don't tell me, I like the mystery.

Get your mouse off the comment link now. I said don't tell me already.

And I'm amazed at how he made that dove disappear. He puts it into the box, waves his wand, opens the box, disassembles it and the dove's gone! It's like magic!

Oi! Don't click on the comment link and tell me how he does it hor!

Although the concert was very boring, the theatrette was very nice. I've never been inside there. Red carpets and normal LT seats with tables.

Genie reminded me of Damien, actually. The female version of him. I don't mean the way she looks, it's what she does.

This is the first time I've been disappointed after watching a campus concert although I can learn something from her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home