Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Ouran High Host Club; anime roll

My cousin is really into anime. Reminds me of him. Anyway, she watches quite a number of anime and she recommended that I watch "Ouran High Host Club". So I searched for it on youtube and was addicted to it up to episode 15, for which I can't find sub-titled episodes and am hoping that somebody will upload those soon.

If you never got past the first few episodes, it would strike you as extremely superficial. There doesn't seem to be real issues discussed. Story talks about skin-deep romance, is quite a comedy and if you would allow it, there's quite a measure of homosexuality in it. Girls screaming in excitement at watching the hosts of the club display affection towards each other were quite getting me bothered and irritated, basically because it was starting to get boring. As the episodes go on, however, the characters start to develop and you begin to be able to see that there is more to each character than what as "hosts" they are required to display. This anime doesn't just tell you directly what to appreciate or points they want to make. It also shows you, more, indirectly what to appreciate. It's up to you to pick up the points. It deals with friendship, family ties and problems, relationship problems, individual problems and perhaps even telling us we should not judge a book by it's cover. That last point is prevalant throughout the whole series (so far up till episode 14 anyway). It's anime, but also cartoonish. I know some animes don't have cartoon characteristics. You know, that those blank eyes, three lines down temple etc. I think.
But please take note that I still don't think it's one of those cheem cheem animes/shows. It's good entertainment to watch, think a bit, and appreciate what you have around you.

Now I shall go and see what is so great about School Rumble. Uh-huh. I'm on an anime roll.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home