Thursday, July 20, 2006

National A Capella championships 2006 at Esplanade

Yesterday's show at Esplanade's concourse was titled "National A Capella championships 2006". However I must have missed the actual competition because there were only 2 schools performing at the time slot stated in Arts Xplosion.

Wikipedia says that "A choir or chorus is a musical ensemble of singers. A vocal ensemble which sings in a church, or sings exclusively sacred music, is called a choir.... A choir usually has eight or more singers, typically with two or more singers on each part; a chorus is typically larger still, with many singers on each part," while an
"A cappella music is vocal music or singing without instrumental accompaniment, or a piece intended to be performed in this way. A cappella is Italian for like in the chapel (music); the term is due to restrictions on the use of instruments in medieval churches."

Hmm, well, I can't really see the difference between the 2, except for perhaps that the choir allows instruments to be used, while an A Capella doesn't. Then again, I have heard Budak Pantai performed with musical instruments. I guess the main point rests in that "In the modern parlance, it applies to vocal performers who refrain from performing with any instrumental accompaniment, yet sometimes sound like instruments themselves," while the choir really just, well, sings. And the fact that the choir consists of a far larger number of people than a normal A Capella group.

Kind of wish that Esplanade or whoever names the competition that, would give it a more appropriate name.

This is the Commonwealth Secondary School Choir. I wonder if they are really in the championships, or if the schools that are performing are those that didn't get in. Probably shouldn't say such things because I'm not a choir member. But being a member of a musical group gives you an edge over others at listening to the music, thinking about it and knowing how the members feel by looking at their faces though I'm sitting in the audience.
It must have been where I'm sitting, which is very much closer to the Sopranos. Couldn't hear the other sections properly. It was okay, though slightly boring.

St. Gabriel Secondary School Vocal Ensemble. They left a stronger impression on me. The first song was a bit shaky and I thought the bass just wasn't enough and not consistent throughout which was very irritating to my ears. Are kids nowadays all oddly-shaped? Some of them look as if they're too short or with heads too large for their bodies. Ok, evil me. Not like I'm very tall either. There was this one guy who, despite wearing that attire as shown in the picture, looks as though he was in a pyjama. Plus his face was so void of expression that it just enhanced the look and I was grinning and desperately trying to hold back my smiles and giggles while looking at him. Sorry if I sound evil, he's just so funny that I had to mention him.

Despite their appearances, the whole of St. Gabriel Vocal Ensemble is really quite good. For the first few songs only the seniors sang (they number about 20-odd) and I was swept off my feet throughout the second song. It's called Voices of the Children or something like that. Very gospel-ish, spiritual-ish, celtic circle-ish, if you know what I mean. Loved the way the bass came through discretely, giving that oomph factor. I realize I'm in love with basses. They provide the foundation for others to build upon and are really very important although we probably don't notice them half or three-quarters of the time. Yet, they are the ones that you would tap your feet to.
The vocal ensemble harmonized beautifully in that song as well. For the other songs, sadly, I couldn't really tell. My fault. Only remember there was this one piece, not sure if it's the 2nd one, where there are bascially three sections and I always thought that songs which look/sounds simple are always the hardest to master because they are so transparent that people could spot your mistakes easily.
Solos, solos... Average. I understand the pressure that comes with presenting a solo, to have the audience attention upon you and only you. Conductors somehow always concentrate on those who provide the support, which I would do too if I were one. Foundation and support are very important! However can't help wishing that the solos were better.
Oh I have to mention this. Sometimes I think guys are very lucky because their voices generally go through the whole range of octaves, ranging from the sopranos to the basses or the next lowest. They get to get a taste of what it's like singing through all the parts, which allows them to understand the other sections more before settling down on one section in the end. An advantage. Also, that's why an all-guy voice ensemble can sing songs with soprano parts - because younger boys naturally have higher sounding voice - while in a mixed voice ensemble, the girls would take on those sections. Now, why am I talking about these stuff? Whatever.

On the whole they are a bit rough but can be polished to make it better. A bit like an unpolished gem, is that how the saying goes? Anyway ain't all kids like that? Aspiring musicians indeed. Most of them end up doing something else anyway. *sigh* But a brush with music most of the time leaves an impact on you. Whether or not you end up being a professional musician, you'll always look at it differently from those who have never been this deeply involved in music. Isn't it the same with all other activities?

Everything took about 1 hour. Did I enjoy it? In a way, yes. Every performance or show I go to, there's always something to be learnt. As we age, we look at things differently. If you looked in from an outsider's point of view, it will be different as when you are in the person's shoes. So many different points of view, how to see all in a lifetime?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home