Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Faculty of ASS

Warning: Vulgar language ahead.

I was pissed, am still pissed, by this woman at the Dean's Office of FASS. Want to slam an entire plate of pie into her face. So pissed. Stupid NUS.

I had better explain my situation first. In my first year, first semester, I bidded for a science module, PC1323, under Breadth. This module has another code, GEK1510, which can be bidded for under GEM. I was in my first year, I was dumb and confused, probably still am, but point is I was a year 1 and year 1s are bound to make mistakes! So this semester I wanted to see if I could change my PC1323 to GEK1510, classify it as a GEM. You see, for us, we need to fulfill 2 GEM modules, 1 from Arts, 1 not from Arts. Thus if I can shift the module from PC to GEK (also known as gem), then I wouldn't have to go through the trouble to taking another science GEM module (and risk getting my ass burnt again). Plus, I do intend to take another physics module this semester because I am (hoping) to minor in Physics. I really do not think I can handle 2 science modules in any one semester. I have already planned it properly. From now on, I have to take a certain physics module each semester, starting from this one, if not I would never be able to finish it. Ok, I'm drifting away.

Anyway, I called CORS helpline under my friend's direction, but they were not able to help. She only took down my particulars (for what, I don't know) and then asked me to try calling FASS helpline. May I mention that the girl who answered the phone was very polite and very nice. So I did as she suggested. When the line got through, I introduced myself as a year 2 arts student, and said that I'm not sure if this is where I should be calling, then I went on to explain my problem. It was at this point, when I was already obviously going to explain my problem that she interrupted me and said something along the lines of "what is your problem?" Like what the fuck, can't she tell that I'm telling her already. So I shut up, let her finish her question, and then I continued. That is something I learned, it's easier to let others finish what they have to say first and then continue with mine.
When I was done, she asked that crucial question - is that module cross-listed? I started to get blur because I didn't understand the full meaning of the term "cross-listed" and I admit that this part is my fault. To me, reading about something is one thing, speaking about it is another. I guess she got really fed-up that a student like me didn't know what is a cross-listed module so she assumed that I was one of those students who didn't read up on things before I called. I told her that the module has 2 codes, one is PC, another is GEK. Isn't that enough for her to know that it is cross-listed?! Anyway she is really one of those who will keep interrupting you while talking and I got so pissed off I wanted to slap her. She kept on asking me what is the code of the module (PC1323) so I told her a couple of times, thinking that she was taking it down, but she kept on asking me 3, 4 times later on in the conversation. What for keep asking me for the code if she isn't going to take it down? Very irritating you know! She kept on mentioning cross-listing so much that in the end I asked her how to find out if it is cross-listed, to which she replied, "It's so easy!" I could feel the sarcasm dripping off those words. She ended up guiding me online on how to find out if the module is cross-listed (fuck her, she doesn't know that if a module has 2 codes it's cross-listed?! Fuck me too.) because I totally suck at finding stuff like that. It was as if she was talking to a primary school kid and I desperately wanted to smack her. Fuck, if you were outside in a corporate company talking to customers on the phone or serving customers who asked questions like these and you answered back in the manner you did, they would have written in a letter of complaint or screamed at you in public already.
At times I think that she is so dumb I wonder why is she working in the office. I would say something like "if I can convert it" and she would ask "convert what" when I have mentioned about 500 times that I want to convert a module from under breadth to a GEM. Maybe I'm dumb too because there seems to be a difference between "classifying" and "converting" a module. I thought I was perfectly clear on those two until I talked to that woman on the phone.
Then at the end of it all, she finally told me that I would have to fill in a form (for which I found problems again) and then submit it to the Dean's Office by a certain date. Following which she said that she can't remember the date and that "we can't spoonfeed you all, you know". Fuck her. I don't need them to spoonfeed me! I just needed the answer to a simple question of whether or not my conversion is possible! Difficult, maybe, but is it possible?! I know that it is possible to change a module from a GEM to one under Breadth, and I know that I can't classify my PC module which is currently under Breadth, under GEM because of the module code. I just need to fucking know if it is possible to change the module code! Damn, I used points from General account to bid for the module under Breadth, and those who bidded for it under GEM used points from the same bloody account as well. Explain to me the problem, please! I want to fuck her upside down! No, change that. I don't want to kiss her pussy.
She also gave advice which I thought was utterly stupid, such as, "minor not so important you know, you should concentrate on your core modules," when I told her I wanted to take a minor, which explains my problem. If not I would have to take another science GEM, which would be too heavy a workload for me. I am aware of my situation, thank you very much. I am also taking action in trying to minimize my workload.
Also like, "you should bid for a GEM you know, they are very difficult to get." Like what the hell! I know that some GEM modules have super high bids and are very difficult to get. And doesn't that like support my argument that I want to change my module code?! Oh, perhaps she doesn't know the intricacies of bidding and which account we pay from. Right.

Basically I was just pissed off by her service attitude. Just because she's in the Dean's office and that I'm a student doesn't mean that I am not entitled to some proper service. And the fact that she keeps on interrupting me while I talk is downright rude, not to say frustrating. At the end when I wanted to tell her that I know I can change a module from GEM to Breadth, I just decided not to because I didn't know what she would interpret it as.

I admit that I am at fault by being clear on the point of "cross-listing" and my tone might have gotten a bit harsh and all, but her constant interruptions irked me so much that I couldn't be bothered.

Bad service attitude, that's all I can say. I'm so ashamed of my own faculty. Not to mention that I feel like giving up on it all already. =(

I AM a little too rash, aren't I? I actually kind of miss people correcting me on this blog like he used... oh right, I shouldn't be thinking/talking about anything regarding that. Hehz. Fuck it.

And I seeked his help today, for which I am very, very embarrassed about. Don't know why I sent him an email asking him to help me on that matter. Oh right, because I was this close *press finger and thumb together* to breaking down and crying. I am very, very grateful to him for even bothering to read the email, what's more replying me. I know I really should not be bothering anybody about this matter at all, but I just had to turn to somebody. What a weakling I must have seemed! Wait a minute, I am a weakling... In any case I am very grateful to him and appreciate his reply because I feel a lot better now that I've told somebody about it and there is somebody to partly evaluate the problem for me. It is time to email him to thank him and say that he doesn't have to bother anymore because it just isn't right to throw it to him like that... But I don't know if I can really handle it alone. H-A-H-A! Such a simple thing and I can't do it. What a loser!

It's all so confusing that I feel like just dropping everything. Drop the idea of a minor, drop the idea of converting the module...

And if I get any thinner, I'll end up dropping my pants.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home