Wednesday, July 12, 2006

End of work soon; Spotting differences

My last day of work is this Friday. =) Joy! But then again, that would mean no income. Hmm. Suggestions?

---------------
I think mynahs are cute and they are fat. A few of them anyway. If you look closely, mynahs are like humans. Or should I say, birds are like humans. What I mean is that for each different species, each individual is different from the other. If you have never examined animals/birds, to you all the mynahs look the same. All sparrows look the same. All hamsters look the same. All cats look the same. All dogs look the same. You know what I mean. I'm not saying that I am an expert at observing animals, but I have done some mynah-watching when I walk to the MRT station. Ok, so that's not a lot, but let's ignore that for a while, shall we.

Anyway, if you have never examined birds, they all look the same to you. Have you noticed differences between mynahs or sparrows? I tell you, there are. Just that we don't notice it. Some are fatter, some are slimmer. Some hop slower, some faster. Some like to call more frequently than others. They sound like humans, don't they? The same goes to sparrows. I've noticed that sparrows at that cafe at NUS are exceptionally fat. I once mentioned it to him and he said that all sparrows are fat. That's an example of how one who does not observe birds carefully enough would reply.

The reason why we don't notice the differences between birds of the same species can be attributed to many different reasons. One of which would probably be that our eyes are not accoustomed to how they look. They are not dressed in different coloured clothes like humans. Instead, they have only a (sometimes not) glossy black coat of feathers. Their features are distinctly different. We are just not used to spotting the differences between each of them. Yet the birds themselves are able to tell each other apart. Do you think that birds would easily differentiate us? Or animals on the whole? If based on the logic that eyes are more accoustomed to looking at those of their own species, then shouldn't it be true that birds would not be able to tell one human from the other as well? I have no idea. Perhaps they can, based on stories where birds and animals could recognize humans. And again, humans are able to recognize their own pets as well. Can anybody clear this? Maybe our eyes just need to get used to spotting the differences. Or that we just need to pay more attention to our surroundings.

Imagine giants or aliens looking down at us. Would they be able to tell the difference between 2 asians? Or 2 caucasians?

Frankly, I have trouble differentiating between Caucasians. I used to have more trouble. One reason why I don't catch up with the foreign entertainment scene - I just can't tell them apart. (Then again, it's a vicious cycle. Can't tell them apart then should watch more which I don't, which just worsens my ability to tell them apart.)

I wonder if Caucasians have the same trouble telling Asians apart as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home