Thursday, February 09, 2006

"You dress like an engine student"

"You dress like an engine student"

Last semester I could go to school in practically anything I felt like wearing. I could look absolutely nerdy or absolutely childish. By childish I mean like age 16 or younger that kind of childish. I really couldn't be bothered. I didn't see the need to dress up for school. I go to school to study, not to go on a fashion parade.
Yes, there is that thing about first impression and how your look is always important, but I found out that how you look does not portray how you really are. Especially if I'm working with that person, I find out soon enough that it's the abilities that really count and shape how I look at that person. I can tolerate a good-looking person who does not attempt to contribute much, for only that period of time, after which I get so immensely irritated that my view of him becomes skewed and I step across the line from "Okay" to "Intense dislike".
Despite all that, yes, first impression counts. A lot. A whole bloody hell lot. There was this period of time I went to school and felt all eyes on me because of how I dress. That was the initial period. After a while I couldn't be bothered anymore. I don't have a lot of clothes and I don't have a lot of dressing sense and simply because I don't see the need to dress up for school.

That was last semester.

This semester somebody told me, "You dress like an engine student". (No offense to engine students, it's just the general perception that is created. Even my chem. engine. female friend tells me that she would feel out of place if she dresses up there.) I don't think anybody has ever said that to my face before although many have hinted =p , and I know there are no evil intentions or anything behind that statement. I'm not angry or offended because it is a fact that I dress plainly. I'm just glad enough that people, most anyway, do not despise me because of how I dress. Hopefully it is because I show that I have the ability in contributing ideas and working with them, that they are able to see me instead of only my exterior.
Or maybe because they are very nice people. =D Extremely probable.

I drifted away.
As I was saying, somebody told me I dress like an engine student and somehow, my ability to dress however I like without giving a damn about how others look at me was... gone. I look at my wardrobe every night and wonder what can I wear that would make me... normal? Sometimes I look at my wardrobe, which is quite often now, and wonder what can I wear that makes me look like an Arts student.
Normal does not necessarily equals to this thing about dressing like arts student. Being normal = the ability to blend into the crowd, and at other times, it is looking like an arts student. And all this because somebody told me that I don't dress like one. =p I think I'm pretty silly.
I suppose it's good that now (meaning more frequently) I take more care in my dressing, and I admit I feel good when I dress well. It's just that it is very tiring. The amount of time taken to ensure that everything matches is... Let's just say I admire those who have the patience to do it.

Sometimes I wonder why do I conform to the typical image of how an Arts student dress?

And then I wonder if it is me.

Then sometimes, "Who/which am I?"

I look around at the many many girls who are carbon-copies of each other in terms of dressing.

"Does it matter?"

By the end of my 3/4 years, will I end up a typical arts student? Am I already one?

Thought I'd just write a couple of lines, ended up writing a whole chunk. Damn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home